The best professional stair builders have lots of experience, a solid reputation for quality work and don’t charge outrageous amounts for their service. Stair building takes way more skill and finesse than say framing a wall, so you should keep experience near the top of the list of things you want in your stairway contractor. And getting the right contractor to handle your stairway is crucial since stairs are such an integral part of the house; impacting the visual, functional and stylistic flavour more than perhaps any other single component.
Before Hiring Stair Builders Check These Things
While experience is critical in getting a stairway that looks and functions the way it should there are other things to check before signing someone on for the job.
- Check Their Qualifications – The builder should be fully licensed and registered and have copies of any special certificates available for you to see. If they are a member of a trade association you should call that group and make an inquiry. A quick check with the Better Business Bureau is also a good idea.
- Check References – Any builder worth their salt will have plenty of references that will vouch for their work. Don’t just ask to see pictures and names though, insist on phone numbers and then follow up with calls.
- Check They’ll Secure Permits – You shouldn’t be the one chasing down building permits. If the stair construction is part of a larger project your GC should handle all necessary permits. If the stairway is a stand-alone project the stairway contractor should handle it without complaint.
- Check for Liability Coverage – Insist on seeing proof of full liability coverage before you even think of signing anything. It’s imperative stair builders have coverage against injury to themselves or others and that they’re also covered in case they cause damage to your house or property or in case they fail to finish the work.
- Check For Outstanding Lawsuits – It’s difficult for any contractor to do business today without incurring someone’s wrath, but if your prospective stair builders spend half their time in court, they may be more trouble than they’re worth, even if they came highly recommended.
- Check Their Personal Background – Someone may build the world’s most beautiful custom wood stairs but if they have a history of aggravated assault and drug possession do you want them working in your house around your kids? It may seem harsh and unforgiving but you have to draw the line somewhere on personal conduct.
Perhaps one word more than any other describes what you should be looking for in stair builders: integrity. Integrity of qualifications, integrity of work, integrity of conduct, integrity of pricing, integrity of reputation. At Stair Star integrity is one of our guiding principles. We’re the quintessential family owned success story and we’ve built our reputation on the quality of our custom staircases and the integrity of our process at every step. Before you take a chance on an unknown builder give us a call and sleep easy knowing the pros from Stair Star are on the job.